Sunday, October 23, 2011

Random Culinary Awesomeness

Since this blog is supposed to be about academic things I normally wouldn't post anything about food here, but last night I made the most awesome dinner and I think it deserves sharing. As justification, I use the argument that cooking is actually science (or, as Hannelore delightfully put it in Questionable Content, "Baking is wonderful! It's like science for hungry people!").


Apron based on this Questionable Content comic


Without further ado, I present you with a picture of the awesomeness I created:

This, my friends, is a roasted stuffed pumpkin. And it was freaking delicious. 



Here are the little guys before baking. You basically cut the top off a small pie pumpkin and clean out all the pumpkin guts. Then you fill it with bread, cheese, cream, and whatever other seasonings and extras you want, put the top back on, and roast it in the oven for 2 hours. You end up with a savory bread-pudding-type stuffing inside a soft, sweet pumpkin shell. AWESOME.







I used a multigrain bread that had lots of sunflower seeds in it, which added a nice texture to the stuffing, along with chunks of gruyere cheese. The cream was seasoned with nutmeg and pepper. 

I will definitely make these again! They are time consuming because of the long roasting, but the actual prep work is pretty easy. I was thinking that next time I might try an herbed goat cheese and maybe add in some cranberries and almond slices. The way they are now they make a pretty impressive meal for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike, but I bet you could add meat (bacon!) and it would be pretty freaking good.

I saw this recipe on another blog, which you can visit here for better pictures and the full recipe. 

No comments: