Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Anatomy of an Interview: T-minus 36 hours

And so begins the countdown to my first interview.  I have decided that this period of the interview process must be the obsessive phase. The ability to sleep eludes me now. Oh sleep, how I miss thee! My ability to eat, however, has not diminished at all. A lot of ice cream and cookies have gone into this talk preparation. There is a lot of list-making, and double and triple checking that I have packed everything I will need. There has also been much ironing, something I rarely do but was necessitated by having to spend two days in clothing that isn't jeans and a sweater.

The job talk is... mostly done? It still needs tweaking. There are citations to insert and a few images to perfect, and a summary slide that says "write something here" that I should probably fill in with actual information. Although I'm sure I will be tweaking my slides until the last minute, the bigger panic comes from feeling the need to prepare for the 20 or so individual meetings I am scheduled for. I keep reading on websites about how you should read at least one paper by each person you are meeting with to familiarize yourself with their work. Ummm, given that I only got the schedule today and my first meeting is in 36 hours, I'm probably not going to be able to read 20 papers by then. I think a gander at their websites to get a general idea about their research is going to have to suffice.

Now, off to re-assess my outfit choices and re-pack my suitcase a few more times!

No comments: