Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vancouver vs. Durham, part II

Last month I posted about some of the things that I had to get used to upon moving from Canada to the USA. Now, while I sit at the airport waiting to leave Canada at the end of my vacation, I have a few additional thoughts about my home and native land:

1) It's cold here! Given that I'm in the warm part of Canada it is obvious that I have become a complete wuss in the two years I've been gone. Apparently my body can no longer tolerate temperatures even remotely close to freezing? I need my sunshine and warm weather! However, the rental car had heated seats, and having a toasty-warm ass did help.

2) The speed limit is so. damn. slow. After doing a road trip on the US highways last week, the difference between 80 mph and 80 km/h is painfully obvious. It's took a lot of effort to not be that annoying asshole that weaves in and out of traffic to pass everyone.

3) Strangers aren't just polite, they're actually helpful. When I was on the ferry, a group of strangers worked together to help get a woman out of the bathroom when the door got stuck. My mom and a group of people helped a man who fell outside the grocery store and waited with him for an ambulance.  (Note to all people regardless of country of origin or residence: if you see someone in need of medical attention and you do nothing, you are a douchebag).

4) Mountains are freaking awesome. I realize there are many very beautiful, mountainous locations in the US, but I do not live in one of them. I took a lot of photos of mountains and the ocean on this vacation.

Canada, I love you, but you are just too damned expensive. So now I will return to my large affordable apartment in North Carolina, where I can indulge in cheese and wine for half the cost.

No comments: